1.12.2015

I spent like half of last week dealing with a single grocery delivery.

Matt and I get our groceries delivered once a month. We do this for a variety of reasons. First, carrying a bunch of groceries two blocks from our parking garage and up the stairs to our apartment is not fun. Second, I actually think it saves us money overall because we can edit and really look at our list and calculate and get the best prices and all that jazz. Third, delivery is free, so like, why not?

Okay. So we have done this almost every month since we moved to Los Angeles more than a year ago, using the exact same company, with absolutely no problems, but this month was a totally different story, so I obviously needed to share.

Let me preface the story of this month's delivery by telling you: We got back from a two-week trip home to Kentucky and Tennessee on Sat., January 3. Previous to that, to try and save a little money in December, we hadn't gotten any groceries and were just kind of clearing out our cabinets, and we ate pretty much everything in the fridge that could possibly go bad in a two-week period. So we basically had chicken noodle soup and butter left, which meant we needed groceries like, the second we got home.

So because we needed groceries right away, I got the essentials on Sunday when I was out at work and we went on and ordered groceries and scheduled our delivery for midday Monday, with a delivery window of 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., because I wasn't working that day.

Then early Monday morning, I got a phone call offering me some temp work for the entire week, including Monday. I obviously can't afford to pass up work, so I called the customer service number for the grocery and asked if I could reschedule our delivery. She said it was no problem whatsoever and we rescheduled the delivery for the next day, Tuesday, between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.

In order to guarantee I would be home by 6 on Tuesday, I had to leave work a little early, so I took a short lunch and rushed home at the end of the day. I got home right at 6. We waited and waited for the whole delivery window, all the way until 10 p.m. ... and nobody ever called or came with the groceries.

Like, what? What happened? Where are you? Why did I not get a phone call? Is my food sitting on the delivery truck overnight? Did the rescheduled time not go through? Where is my food? I'm so hungry! And of course, the customer service center closes at 9, so I couldn't call that night and figure out what happened.

The next morning on my way to work, I called customer service and explained what happened the night before. The woman was super apologetic and we rescheduled it for that night, Wednesday, between 7 and 9, no problem. She also gave us a $10 credit on our next order, so that's great!

Then at 4:45, while I was at work, I got a phone call, and it went something like this:

Me: Hello?
Person: Hi, this is [grocery delivery company]. Where are you?
Me: What? I'm at work.
Person: You're not at home?!
Me: Um, no? Are you there right now?
Person: Yes! I'm at your apartment, 302! Why aren't you here?
Me: I'm at work. My delivery was scheduled for between 7 and 9 tonight.
Person: No, it says 11 to 3 on the sheet!
Me: I'm really sorry, that was my original delivery time on Monday, but it's supposed to be between 7 and 9 tonight.
Person: So when will you be home?
Me: ... Well definitely by 7, but I don't know exactly.
Person: Okay, I'll try back then.

A couple of things here. First, why are you yelling at me? Like, calm down please, take a breath, and get rid of all the exclamation marks.

Second, I'm really wondering where exactly the miscommunication is happening here. Is the delivery person missing the note with the new delivery time on the sheet? Is the new delivery time not written on the sheet? If not, why not?

And third, if the delivery was scheduled between 11 and 3, good thing you're calling me at 4:45, right? Like seriously, I would have been so mad if it was an hour and forty-five minutes late! Of course, that's better than not showing up at all like someone did on Tuesday.

Anyway, we ended up getting our groceries fine that night and all was right with the world, but goodness gracious! It was way more difficult than it needed to be.

And PS, it wasn't the delivery driver's fault; the new delivery time hadn't been written on the form anywhere, so like, rude alert on the driver's manager or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails