11.09.2014

Job Hunting Week, day seven: Not lowering your standards

Welcome to Job Hunting Week. Looking for a job is my whole life at the moment, and looking for a job is so not fun. None of the content of this week will be revolutionary or even anything you haven’t thought of yourself, but I want to get it all out there in the open. Let’s commiserate together about the worst parts of job searching and what makes it so truly awful.

Day seven: Not lowering your standards


Look, there are some jobs that are just asking for ridiculous things. I've showcased some examples of these in my Craigslist blog posts.
An actual email I actually received


I'm not going to supply my own computer when the job isn't based out of my home. Just no.


I'm not going to record video answers for a freaking video interview. What even is that?


I'm not going to participate in a group interview because I'm not sixteen and applying for my first retail job.


I'm not going to pay to take a training program to do a job I can already do. I'm also not going to complete any unpaid training hours. I'm not an idiot.


I'm not going to be a telemarketer. Cold calling people to ask for donations or try to sell something is possibly the worst non-hard-labor job I can think of, though it would be excellent for the blog.


I’m not going to be a design assistant “with some administrative duties” because again, I’m not an idiot. I know that really just means an administrative assistant who also needs to know how to use Photoshop.


I’m not going to do free work for you as a “tryout.” That is shady.

I’m also not going to do a “contract-to-full-time” job, because I’m trying to get health benefits here, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails