8.16.2013

Wedding Week: Unexplained absences

Welcome to Wedding Week, where I help you become a better wedding guest through my -- and some of my recently married friends' -- experiences. Some people might think it's rude for me to blog about hating people at my own wedding, but those people don't have a blog called "I Hate Everyone." If you recognize yourself in any of these, don't fret! I probably still love you. Just adjust your behavior for the next wedding you're invited to.

Welcome to the fifth and final day of Wedding Week. It's the most important one.

The absolute worst thing you can do is RSVP yes and then not show up.

Basically, if you did this, I'm done with you. 

I was under the impression that my friends and family were trustworthy individuals. People I could count on. I am now relieved of that false notion.

Seriously, guys. It might not seem like that big of a deal to you, but Matt and I slaved over the seating chart for basically an entire day, and then I had to spend even more time on it over the next several days leading up to the wedding as I found out certain people weren't going to be able to make it. The seating chart was carefully and specifically crafted, with people matched with their friends or people I thought they would enjoy.

And then, on the day of the wedding, about 15 people, for reasons that are still completely unknown to me, just didn't show up.

If I had known, I could have taken two tables away and had a bigger dancing space! ALSO, the way the seating chart was set up, some of the tables ended up really empty. Tables could fit eight people, and the smallest number of people I wanted at a table was six. If a guest and their plus-one don't show up and they were supposed to be at a table of six, that table ends up with only four people! One of the tables ended up with only two people, a couple who didn't really know anyone else at the wedding, and that broke my heart!

It's so rude. And honestly, it distracted me during the reception, which shouldn't happen. I noticed that there were people missing and wondered about them. And I absolutely understand emergencies, but what I don't understand is not contacting me sometime in between the wedding and now to explain yourself! 

And that's why I'm pretty much done with people who did this. I invited you to the wedding, you said you would be there, I planned for you to be there, you told me how excited you were, and then you didn't show up AND didn't ever contact me about it.


I just can't imagine doing that to someone. Even before I had planned my own wedding, I had better sense than that! Did people think we wouldn't notice? Because we definitely, definitely did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails