2.12.2012

This is ugly...oh, I didn't realize you were wearing it.

When you work at a retail store, you end up having a lot of clothes from the store. It just happens. Often, it's solely because of the deals you're able to score. Things get really cheap on clearance sometimes. If you're lucky, these really cheap things are also really cute things!

Admittedly, sometimes you can't wait for things to be really cheap and you just have to snatch them up while you still have them. Seeing an item of clothing that you really want in the store day after day after day is sometimes too much and you have to rely on your discount.

Either way, you end up with a LOT of product.

But especially with the second option, you end up wearing the item to work while it's still in the store.

This is where we run into annoying customers.

So I'm going to institute a rule and I hope everyone can agree to follow it. I think it will help us avoid many awkward encounters.

Here it is: Before you say something negative about an item of clothing, make sure the employee you're saying it to isn't wearing the item of clothing.

I can't even tell you how many times this has happened in the past four years.

It happens all the time when people are returning things, and the problem is it really doesn't have to be awkward, but they always make it awkward.

Saying something like, "It just looked weird on me" is completely fine. Things fit people differently.

But let's look at two examples. One is from a few years ago, but I remember it very well. I was wearing a striped skirt. A girl maybe two feet away from me held up the same skirt, looked at it, and said, "This is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I don't know why anyone would ever wear that." At least she wasn't talking to me.

Today, I was wearing bright blue jeans:
This woman hands me a pair of the same exact jeans and says, "Can you put these up for me? I decided to go with a normal color because these don't go with anything."

OH. REALLY? So my outfit is totally clashing?

Good thing I'm really self-confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails