2.15.2012

How are you? Just looking.

When I'm greeting customers on the sales floor, I typically use some variation on or combination of these lines:
  • "Hi, how are you doing?"
  • "Are you finding everything okay or are you just looking?"
  • "Do you need help finding anything today?"
  • "Let me know if you need anything."
For some reason, people have trouble reacting to what we actually say. As I've discussed in length before, I think it's because people are on autopilot when they deal with customer service workers.

Here are two sample conversations that happened within an hour of each other the other day.

1.
Me: How are you?
Customer: I'm just looking.

2.
Me: Do you need help finding anything?
Customer: Okay, thank you!

No. Neither of these are appropriate reactions to the questions I asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails