12.21.2011

My family's complicated relationship with Steak 'n Shake

My family has a complicated relationship with Steak 'n Shake. Here are the facts.

First of all, I hate that the middle word is "'n." There should be an apostrophe both before and after the "N" because the word is "and." This really doesn't have anything to do with the story, I just needed to get it out of the way.

We were always totally cool with Steak 'n Shake, and we have one really close to our house, so we went there relatively often. Here's the problem, though. Twice in a row, we went, they seated us, and then they never spoke to us or acknowledged us.

Both times, we tried to get their attention, but to be honest, we weren't making a huge amount of effort because we shouldn't have to! I mean, honestly, how long does it usually take for the server to take your drink order?

And one time, there were five of us, so we weren't an easy table to miss.

We waited more than ten minutes each time and then left.

Now, I didn't let this stop me from going to Steak 'n Shake. I've been there many, many times since this happened. But my parents literally haven't been there since these two occurrences, which were in my sophomore year of high school.

Today, we were on our way to Applebee's and we were about to pass Steak 'n Shake. Mom laughed, "We could go to Steak 'n Shake!"

I exclaimed, "Ooh! I want a milkshake!" and Dad turned in to the parking lot.

It was the moment of truth. We sat down at our table and were helped right away, which was exciting. The meal was really good. I got a milkshake with my meal, but Mom and Dad wanted theirs after.

They ordered their shakes and we waited for them to arrive. And waited. And waited. And waited.

After about fifteen minutes, which is fifteen minutes after we were ALL done eating and fifteen minutes that we had been sitting without anything in front of us, we were starting to get annoyed. I was sad because I didn't want Mom and Dad to change their minds about Steak 'n Shake after having such a pleasant meal.

When it had been about twenty minutes, the manager came by and asked how everything was. Mom said, "Our meal was great, but we've been waiting quite a while for our milkshakes."

The manager answered, "Oh, yeah, he's been pretty busy back there, they'll be out in a minute."

Like, I'm sorry. That is not an adequate answer. First of all, you really need to apologize. Like, we had been waiting for twenty minutes. Don't ask how everything is if you're not going to make an effort to fix it or even be polite about it.

Also, if one person can't handle the amount of orders you have, you should have more than one person working on them. And if there isn't another person available, as a manager, you need to help out and get it done.

And then, we still had to wait a few minutes after that conversation. She didn't even go over and check on our shakes. I honestly expected them to be free or half off or something, but when we got our check, there was no discount or anything.

Rude alert.

1 comment:

  1. I've been boycotting Buffalo Wild Wings for 5 years now because they literally gave me about a tablespoon of salsa with my chips "and salsa" and insisted on charging $0.25 for literally every tablespoon of salsa extra.

    ReplyDelete