11.09.2011

No, I'm just looking, but I do need help...

When people come into Old Navy, we are supposed to greet them.

We'll say things along the lines of, "Hi, how are you doing?" or, "Welcome to Old Navy!"

If I'm on register and I don't have any customers or if I'm not on register, I'll generally follow up with, "Is there anything I can help you find?" or, "Are you looking for anything specific?"

It absolutely kills me how often people will say no to that question and then IMMEDIATELY follow up with a question about the merchandise.

Here's a basic example that has happened verbatim:
"Can I help you find anything?"

"No, I'm just looking, do you have Michigan State stuff?"
Okay, so that wasn't a no then, and you're not just looking. You're looking for Michigan State stuff and you need help finding it.

It's a completely different thing when I ask someone this question and then they come find me a few minutes later with a question. That's 100% acceptable.

I would even accept, "No, I'm just looking...Well actually, do you have Michigan State stuff?" Because at least then you're acknowledging that you changed your mind about the question.

But when you say no and then ask me a question in the same breath, I just don't get it.

You obviously already knew you needed help. Just say yes in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails