10.11.2011

So like...what's on the test?

I had a test this morning in my marketing class. I went to bed around midnight and woke up at 6 a.m.

When I woke up, I checked my email and saw that I had an email from THE SAME GIRL I blogged about yesterday.

Before I even read it, I started cracking up because I remembered the name. I knew it was going to be a gem.

Okay, so here's the email:

A couple of things here. First of all, congratulations on spelling everything right and not using any abbreviations this time, though you still need some help on punctuation.

That's where the good stuff ends, though.

Okay so seriously. Let's talk about how we knew what was going to be on the exam, since you're "not sure if he addressed that."
  1. He told us the first day of class. In class, when going over the syllabus, he said that while he draws heavily from lecture for exam questions, we are also responsible for everything in the applicable chapters. He also told us that exam one would cover chapters 1-9 and exam two would cover chapters 10-18.
  2. It's in the syllabus. The syllabus says, "exam questions will come from material covered in class, speakers, assignments and directly from the textbook readings." That's pretty straightforward, I think. And then there's also a little table with which readings are due on which class dates. So I'm pretty sure that means that all the readings that were due before the first exam are on the exam.
  3. He told us in class on Tuesday and again on Thursday. She obviously missed class on Thursday, but he definitely told us both days.
So now that we've got that taken care of, let's move on.

The worst part about this is the fact that she asked if "everything" from the chapters was going to be on the exam. If she had asked if everything from the chapters was fair game on the exam, that would have been a different and more acceptable question. Or if she had asked if information from all the chapters was going to be on the exam, that would have made sense too. But she asked if everything was going to be on it, to which I have two answers.

First: How should we know? We don't know exactly what's going to be on the exam until we get them in front of us.

And second: No. A 100 question exam cannot ask about "everything" from 207 pages of material. It's not physically possible.

The other thing that's ridiculous here is that she was asking this at almost 1 a.m. the night before an 8 a.m. exam. I completely understand still being up studying for an exam, but she was still trying to figure out what subject matter was going to be on it! And at that point, I'd say it's probably time to go to sleep. Studying won't help you anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment