9.20.2011

I think you got your days confused.

I got an email yesterday from "Paul Goldblatt," who is the director of the Department of Residence Life here at Michigan State. I put his name in quotation marks because the email was signed "Ginny Haas, director of Community Relations."

So there's one strike against them.

But that's obviously not worth blogging about. It does, however, mean I don't know who to blame for this blunder.

Here's the problem. He or she or whoever was talking about some of the upcoming events for the One Book, One Community program. The book this year is "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer. (The book is fantastic, by the way; I read it a couple of years ago.)

Anyway, here's the email. (You can click on it to make it bigger.)

The events being advertised are:
  1. The author speaking "on campus on Sunday, September 25 at 7 pm at the Wharton Center."
  2. The other event is a scavenger hunt "coming up this Sunday, October 18, at 4 pm that you and your friends might want to participate in."
Here's the deal. It says October 18. I already knew about this scavenger hunt and I knew that it actually took place this PAST Sunday, September 18. So the October was really supposed to be September, which isn't a big deal. But you're sending out this email on MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 19. It's over. The event has already happened.

I thought to myself, "That's funny, not only did they get the month wrong, they're also advertising for an event that's already happened."

But honestly, I wasn't that annoyed. It's not a huge deal. People make mistakes, right? I was going to forget all about it. But then today, I got an email with the subject line, "[U-Mail] - Correction - One Book Events."

So I opened the email, expecting it to apologize for both parts.

Nope!

They apologize for the error, and then say, "Unfortunately, we typed October 18 instead of September 18 as the date for the Scavenger Hunt.  We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you."

So...you don't care about the fact that the scavenger hunt is over? Because it's now the 20th? You just want us to update our calendars for, oh, two days ago?

And I know someone's going to say, "Well if they thought the scavenger hunt was October 18, that's why they put it in the email," in which case I will direct you back to the line in the original email that said, "coming up this Sunday, October 18th."

Like, did you write this email intending for it to go out last week?

I don't understand errors like this because I read and reread and reread emails even when they're only going out to three or four people. Or one, even. And this is going out to literally thousands of students.

This would have been such an easy error to catch!

But then to realize it was wrong and only fix part of it? That's just stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails