8.14.2011

Laura Walker guest blogs: Don't give me your silly coupons.

So, we're doing Super C-A-S-H right now at Old Navy. It's like Kohl's Cash, sort of. You get $10 back for every $20 you spend in stores. It's a really great deal, I think, although it's kind of a hassle to remember to give it to almost every customer. The catch is that if you get Super C-A-S-H you have to spend so much in order to redeem it. For example, if you get a $10 Super C-A-S-H coupon, you have to spend $20 and so on and so forth.

ANYWAY, so I'm on register Wednesday night and I am checking this woman out and she spends a little more than $60 on clothes for herself, so I give her $30 in Super C-A-S-H. I'm finishing up her transaction and just about to explain the coupons to her when she very rudely says "Wait, what are those?" (referring to the coupons). And I reply, "These are your Super C-A-S-H coupons. You've earned $30 today and they are redeemable August 25-29!"

"Do I need to spend anything in order to use them?" she asks.

"Yes, actually, you can use both at the same time, so you can get $60 worth of stuff for only $30!"

"Well, that's stupid. I don't want those."

"Oh...are you sure...?"

"Yeah, coupons just...defeat the purpose of shopping."

"Oh, okay."

So, yeah, then she leaves. And I was so baffled. Like, what? Coupons defeat the purpose of shopping? Coupons make shopping BETTER! And these specific coupons are actually really great. So whatever, her loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment