6.26.2011

The Internet? The Facebook? What are those?

This past weekend, Old Navy had a $2 tank sale. Friday was a pre-sale for Old Navy cardholders and Facebook fans.

So on Thursday night, I got a phone call. "Thank you for calling Old Navy Jefferson Mall, this is Kristin, how can I help you?"

"How can I get the $2 tank deal for Saturday tomorrow?"

"You either have to use your Old Navy card when you check out or print out the coupon from the Old Navy Facebook page."

"Oh well I don't have a card."

"Okay, then your other option is printing the coupon from Facebook."

"What is that, is that, like, on the Internet?"

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was talking to my great-grandmother. And it's not the fact that she doesn't HAVE a Facebook. It's the fact that she didn't even know WHAT IT IS.

And before you get defensive and tell me about all your older relatives who don't use the Internet, I was most surprised because she didn't sound old at all. Like, by her voice, I would be surprised if she was more than 60 years old.

So anyway, I say, "Yes, it's a website."

"Oh. Um...hold on, lemme check with my daughter about that."

Um okay. Do you not believe me? But I thought this was good. I was like, yeah. Ask your daughter. She certainly has a Facebook! I'm sure she can help you.

No.

The daughter, who apparently is yelling because I can hear her distinctly in the background, asks, "What do I go under?"

This is the strangest way to ask this question. What kind of wording is that, seriously? I answer, "Facebook dot com."

The woman is just so confused. She asks if she has to get an account with Old Navy. I tell her no, she has to have a Facebook account and like Old Navy's page. Like seriously lady. Can you please just give it up?

You are clearly not Internet-savvy enough for this.

Do you even HAVE Internet access?

Do you even have a computer?

Just wait until Saturday, okay? It's not that big of a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment