5.02.2011

"I really just don't like nickels."

The other day at Old Navy, I was checking out a customer.

She paid with cash and I was giving her change back.

The change was 17 cents.

So, first of all, it's important that you know she was being impatient already. The whole transaction was filled with her looking at her watch and sighing. This, of course, makes me want to hurry and get her out as fast as possible.

So I'm looking at the cash drawer. There aren't any dimes left in the slot for dimes, but there's a roll of dimes. There are, however, plenty of nickels.

Now, obviously if there were dimes out, I would have just given her a dime, a nickel and two pennies.

But she's in a hurry, and there aren't any dimes. I tried to open the dimes really quick anyway, just because I know that the less coins you get back, the better. But I could tell it was going to take a while. (I have trouble with the plastic rolls they use.)

So I pick up three nickels, laugh and say something like, "Sorry, I'm gonna give you a few nickels."

And she says, "Oh, I hate nickels." Which is just, like banter, right? So I laughed.

Except she was totally serious.

"Oh."

"Sorry, do you really not have any dimes? I just really hate nickels."

...I'm sorry, you seemed to be in a rush. And it's not like I was going to give you seventeen pennies. And HOW DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST NICKELS? Pennies I would understand, but nickels? I really don't understand this at all.

Then she tried to make it better by saying, "Sorry, they would just sit in a drawer at home if you gave them to me."

Which just didn't make it better at all. Of course.

Like you really care so much about your hatred for nickels that you take the time to take them out of your wallet at home and throw them in a drawer? Just use them the next time you pay with cash!

1 comment:

  1. that is the oddest thing i have ever read. you should have just given her all pennies instead at that point! ; )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails