5.19.2011

Don't come to my antique store.

I'm interning at a magazine this summer.

The other day, I was calling some antique stores in the area because the editor wanted to visit them for a photo shoot. I was supposed to ask if it would be okay for people at the magazine to visit and take some pictures.

Most of them were very nice and easy to deal with.

Then I call a store and get an answering machine. It was basically, "We're closed. If you must reach us, call Jo at home at (blah)-blah-blah or on her cell at (blah)-blah-blah."

The way she said "must" on the message definitely made me think she didn't want a call, but I needed to find out that day. So I waited an hour or so and tried again, and when I got the same message, I called the cell number.

It was a disaster from the start. She answered with either the radio or TV so loud that it was basically all I could hear. I introduced myself and told her why I was calling, but hadn't even mentioned the photo shoot part yet, and she yelled, "WHAT WAS THAT?"

So I repeated myself, knowing the whole time that she wasn't going to hear me again because she hadn't turned down whatever was making all the noise in the background. Sure enough, when I got done, she said, "I CAN'T HEAR YA, DEAR, HOLD ON."

She turns the noise down, finally. So I repeat myself for the third time. Again, I haven't even mentioned a photo shoot yet, I've just said that we were planning on visiting some local antique stores. She answers, "No, I don't think so."

And I said, "Oh, you don't want us to come at all?"

And she says, "No, no, I don't think so."

Um? First of all, it wouldn't make any sense to say no to a photo shoot because why would you not want the publicity? But she didn't even know about the photo shoot, so she was basically telling me she didn't want us in her store at all. I seriously don't understand why us visiting her store would ever be a problem.

Also, why were you not open at 2 PM on a Wednesday?

Also, why don't you have a website?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails