4.23.2011

People who are obliviously in the way

I went shopping yesterday. I was looking for jeans at Gap. I work for Gap Inc., so while I'm not super-familiar with Gap's clothes specifically, I have a general awareness of the different fits for their jeans and stuff like that.

So I go in knowing basically what I want. I pick up a few pairs to try on from the wall, and then there are some folded in a low table also. I'm like a foot away from them, trying to decide which wash to try, when this guy comes up, bends down right in front of the jeans that I'm clearly looking at, and proceeds to read off every size to his daughter, who is standing on the other side of the table.

I'm sorry, how did you not realize you stepped directly in front of me? Am I invisible? I find this extremely rude. The daughter and I even made eye contact, and I'm standing right behind him looking at the same jeans he's looking at, and she didn't say anything to him. What is that about?

This isn't something that happens super often, but it happens enough to be a serious hassle. Just be aware of your surroundings. I notice this a lot when women have strollers. People will park their strollers somewhere and take a few steps away from it without caring what it's blocking. I find it awkward to reach around a stroller because it looks like I'm trying to steal the woman's purse or something.

Another good example of this is on the bus. If you're standing up, you should constantly be checking around you to make sure someone's not trying to get by.

Please, everyone, let's all make an effort to be aware of what's going on around us and stay out of people's way.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh. I can't even begin to express to you how much I agree with this. I just don't get it. In fact, I'm obsessive about NOT being in anyones' way. Like, people in hallways, stopping right in their tracks to talk to someone? Your conversation will work just as well if you're at the side of this hallway, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. This happens to me a lot at the grocery store, or any other place where shopping carts are involved. I always push my cart to the side of the aisle that I'm looking at, to try and stay out of the way. It amazes me how many people leave their cart right in the middle, so I can't even get around them. Umm... hello, you're right in the way.

    ReplyDelete