4.25.2011

Jessica Goodman guest blogs: Envolpe? Not a word.

I student teach two days a week in a first grade classroom at an elementary school in Louisville, Kentucky.

I was co-teaching a lesson with a teacher who is much more experienced than me, and I usually find her pretty brilliant. However, this particular day was a totally different story. We were working on a practical life skills type of lesson, and the answer to one of the questions was "envelope". Let's face it, this word is too difficult for first graders to know how to spell—most words are. So they ask. Fine.

The other teacher writes "e-n-v-o-l-p-e" on the board so all the students can see it. And I'm like whatever, because I think she'll catch her error and correct it. Nope. She looks at it for a second and literally says, "Yeah, I think that's right."

OMG are you serious? Now I have 24 first graders all with the same misspelling on their paper and that makes me uncomfortable. Their little brains have soaked up the incorrect spelling of a fairly important word. I don't say anything about it though, because I'm a student teacher and I don't want to step on any toes. And there's not really a polite way to say, "Umm, excuse me, you've spelled a pretty simple word completely wrong." I also hope they don't make it to high school or college, or (ideally) even the second grade thinking that you spell "envelope" "e-n-v-o-l-p-e."

3 comments:

  1. I would have said something. :( --Yuko

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. LOVE the name of your blog!
    2. Idiotic people bother me as well!

    kepe up the rants!

    Wanted to invite you to our First Giveaway!

    love from San Francisco,

    Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a parent with children in school learning things incorrectly from their teachers, please say something next time. Better to step on one person's toes than misinform 24 people. You're a future educator.

    ReplyDelete