4.15.2011

I'm not from Michigan, okay Mr. Professor?

I get so sick of profs who assume all their students are from Michigan.

I'm pretty sure it's never intentional, because everyone knows there are out-of-state students.

But profs who are from here don't seem to consider the fact that some of the things they think are basic knowledge are actually not.

Here are two examples that happen a lot:
  1. Measuring distance. I hate when profs are trying to explain how far away two things are from each other and they say, "I mean, that's like from here to Saginaw!" I don't even know where Saginaw is on a map, so saying that definitely doesn't give me an idea of how far away from each other these two things are.
  2. Referring to background information. A prof yesterday was talking about a Native American tribe that is based in Michigan. I don't even remember what tribe it was now. But he just mentioned their name and said, "I think we all know they're one of the native Michigan tribes." You know what? I didn't know that because never in my life have I had cause to know that. And it would have been just as easy to say, "[whatever the tribe name was], which is one of the native Michigan tribes..."
Profs, just get a clue. According to the State News, out-of-staters accounted for 20.9 percent of MSU's enrollment last year. That's one out of every five students. If that's the case, why are you still talking to us like 100 percent of us are from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment