4.13.2011

I just really need more time to finish this test. I'm sorry.


The class I have in this classroom starts at 10:20. The class these students are in runs from 9:10-10:00 and it's a math class.

I took this picture at 10:11 on Monday.

Here's the thing. I get that they're taking a test. And I understand how frustrating it can be to feel as if you're being rushed on a test.

However, exams are timed. Someone else needs to be in the classroom you're in. So you need to ensure that you are done with your test by the time your class is supposed to be over.

There are two potential problems here, and at least one of them is happening.

  1. First, it's possible that the test is just too difficult to complete in the allotted time frame. This does happen sometimes, unfortunately. Professors sometimes get carried away when they're making the test and don't think about the fact that the students only have a fifty-minute window in which to complete it. In that case, though, there are usually way more students left over at ten minutes past the end of the test period.
  2. It is for that reason that what I think is going on here is this: These students were simply not prepared. While I feel very bad for them and I wish for their sake they had either studied more or understood the material better, the fact remains that they are in their seats past the time they're supposed to be. They should have taken whatever steps were necessary to ensure they were prepared to complete the exam within the allotted time frame. 
So anyway, at 10:15 the prof (actually not a prof, just a very timid TA) announced, "Um, you're going to need to turn your tests in now," and the remaining six to seven students sadly filtered out of the room.

Geez. I mean I was only waiting outside for twenty-five minutes. Don't worry about it though, guys.

1 comment:

  1. I always hated this in college, as well. I just wanted to tell them "Hey, if you didn't know the answer twenty-five minutes ago it's not going to suddenly appear to you no matter how long you stare at the paper or reread the question."

    ReplyDelete