3.27.2011

Spell my name right; it's literally the only thing you know about me.

I've blogged before about how obnoxious it is for people to spell your name wrong in an e-mail. I mean seriously, it's bad enough for someone to spell your name wrong anyway, but it's way worse when it's RIGHT THERE and all they have to do is copy it over correctly.

Let's take this a step further.

When you're responding to someone you don't know and have never met on Facebook (presumably on a mutual friend's page), why would you ever spell their name wrong?

First, I'll tell you a story. A friend had a status about something sports-related, and I agreed with what he was saying. Here's what happened:


Okay, so seriously? Two things here:

1.) When I disagree with someone on Facebook via comment, I try to make sure every single thing I'm saying is correct because the person you're disagreeing with can totally call you out on it.

2.) But more importantly, I've never seen or met this person before. That means that all he knows about me, he knows from that comment. So: he knows I have curly hair, he knows my name is Kristin Skaggs, he knows I agree with Terry about this issue, and he knows I hate many things about sports. One of the four things he knows about me is how my name is spelled, and he couldn't spell it right? Really?

What makes you change the "i" in my name to an "e" when it's right there?

I point out the fact that we don't know each other because sometimes, I think, it's easy to meet someone and not realize how their name is spelled, and then you might accidentally spell it wrong the first time you have to write it.

But nothing about me should have given him the impression that I spelled my name with an "e."

I'm just saying, it's right there. You don't even have to be a good speller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails