3.01.2011

Profs who are bad at discussions

I hate it when profs who are obsessed with having discussions are really bad at leading discussions.

I have a class right now and the prof always says he wants to have discussions with us, but anytime anyone says anything, he interrupts them, then criticizes what they said, and then rants about it for like five minutes.

Let's take these one at a time.
  1. Interrupting is rude and inexcusable, unless the person is babbling, which they almost never are.
  2. I'm not saying none of us can take criticism, but you're not going to get people to speak up in class by making them feel stupid.
  3. It's not a discussion if the prof is doing almost all the talking.
The biggest problem here is that if nobody says anything, he starts getting all mad and like, "I expect you guys to keep up on the readings and you should all have something to say about them."

You know what? I DID do the readings and I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm not speaking up because you are bad at leading the discussion.

I don't know if many people know this, but professors (at least at MSU, I don't know about every college) aren't required to take any teaching certification courses. They just have to be experienced in their field.

While I'm okay with this sometimes, because I've had great profs who had no training, this is also the downfall of many profs. You can know everything there is to know about a subject, but if you have no idea how to teach things effectively, you're useless in front of a classroom of students.

And I think the ability to lead a discussion effectively might be something you'd learn in a class about teaching.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should become a teacher, Kristin. You would be good. Yes. Miss you! -Cheryl

    ReplyDelete