2.15.2011

Less-than-perfect grades with no explanations

This is one of my biggest school-related pet peeves.

I hate it when I get a less-than-perfect grade on a project (or paper or whatever) with no explanation.

You pretty much always get a written commentary when you get things like this back, and the commentary usually contains praise and/or criticism appropriate to the grade you received on the assignment.

It bothers me so much when I get something back with a grade that's not 100% but still an A, and the only thing the commentary says is "This is awesome" or something like that.

This happened to me a week or so ago. I got a project back and it was a 94%, and the comment said, "Excellent. Consistently met the criteria for the assignment, supported claims with ample evidence from the readings and additional sources; showed how visual related to claims; controls language throughout."

Um...so what could I have done to get 100%?

And the thing about a 94% is it's not low enough to actually go to the prof and ask what you could have done better, because then you look like a grade grubber. But if you consistently get 94s on everything and get one lower grade, that can drop you to a 3.5 instead of a 4.0.

I'm just saying, I like to know why my grade isn't as high as it should be.

1 comment:

  1. Myself and others have known professors who flat out NEVER give perfect 100% grades on projects/papers. As in, that's like their policy. :/

    ReplyDelete