11.06.2010

Oh oh oh, is this a credit card? JK then.

When you apply for an Old Navy card, there are a few steps involved. First, I pitch you the card and you say yes. This makes me happy. I should mention that in the pitch, I use the words "if you're approved," which should tip you off to the fact that it's a credit card.

Then, I tell you I need a major debit or credit card and your ID. And you hand me these two items. Some people, at this stage, say "Ohh, I don't have a debit or credit card." And I say, "Oh, I'm sorry, we do need that to sign up for the card." And that's that. And that's not that big of a deal because I haven't really had to do anything on the computer yet.

The next step is me entering the information from your card. Address, birthday, etc. Then I ask for your phone number and e-mail address. This takes a second. So if you back out anytime after this point, I get kind of annoyed.

Then, you have to verify your address on the card reader. "Press OK if it's correct or cancel if it's not." And you press OK or cancel. Nobody ever backs out here because that would be stupid.

Then I say "Okay, now it's going to ask you two questions. They're completely confidential and I don't see them at all. The first one's just an estimate, it doesn't have to be exact." The first one is your annual household income. This is where some people realize it's a credit card and change their mind. First of all, if you don't want a credit card, you should have already asked if it was a credit card. That should have been your first question. Secondly, it is so obnoxious to have to back out of it at this point because A, I was all set on you getting a card and B, I have to press the escape button SO MANY TIMES!

But some people still don't back out, and the next question is your social security number. This is where I lose about half of the people that apply. Okay, seriously. WHY DID YOU JUST FIGURE OUT THAT IT WAS A CREDIT CARD? And it really takes like a full minute for me to press escape enough times to get back to the total screen.

You should have just said no in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails