11.22.2010

"Firework" by Katy Perry

Disclaimer: I love Katy Perry as a person. And I loved her first album. This one, unfortunately, is full of stupid.

The song "Firework" is a prime example of the stupidity of the album.

Let's start with the first line: "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag drifting through the wind wanting to start again?"

Um, well, honestly, no. I can't say that I've ever identified with a plastic bag in any way, actually. Seriously, worst simile ever.

The next terrible thing about this song is the chorus. The lyrics site that I'm referencing says the lyrics say, "Make 'em go 'Oh, oh, oh!'" but I completely disagree. I don't really  think she's saying anything in place of those three Ohs. It's more like a "ungh" sound to me. But somehow she manages to sort of rhyme it to sky? I seriously don't know what you're doing here, Katy.

The main terrible thing about this song is that it's such an explosion of similes and metaphors! Every stanza seems to have a different one. Are you a plastic bag, a deck of cards, a firework, someone buried alive? It's so much!

Another problem is that honestly, when I first heard the song, I thought it was by Jordin Sparks. Why is Katy Perry trying to be so inspirational? This is not the Katy Perry I know and love.

Come on Katy. You just gotta ignite the light. And let it shine...Brighter than the moon...and stop feeling like a plastic bag?

Something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment