4.19.2010

Leggings as pants

People are walking around without pants on.

It is a growing phenomenon. In the past few years, more and more women have been walking around without any pants, opting instead for their thinner and much more revealing cousins, the legging.

Leggings never claimed to be pants. They were always content to be worn in the gym and under dresses.

These are the only two places leggings belong, but they have been cropping up just about everywhere; even, I am sad to say, paired with regular-length shirts.

There are two major things wrong with wearing leggings in place of pants. The first is that it’s just not fashionable. Leggings are the sweatpants of the college crowd; the item of clothing you throw on when there’s nothing else clean.

This is unacceptable for the same reason sweatpants are unacceptable. It requires no effort whatsoever. 

Nothing says “I woke up five minutes before class” like leggings, a North Face and Ugg boots, and yet I see girls all the time with impeccable hair and makeup and this exact outfit. This makes me think that these girls did not just roll out of bed and in fact planned this outfit with some confidence. This is something I frankly do not understand.

The second major thing wrong with wearing leggings as pants is that they are almost never as flattering as you think. It’s alarming how many women choose to leave the house in them. The amount of VPL and camel-toe I see on campus due to leggings as pants is truly disgusting.

Then there are just plain unflattering leggings. You have to remember, leggings aren’t manufactured to be pants, so this is not the company’s fault. Whoever made your leggings intended for them to be worn under a skirt or dress. This is why there are semi-transparent leggings, white leggings and leggings with unfortunate patterns. All of these styles can be worn successfully under a skirt or dress, but when worn as pants, they are tragically unflattering.

Ladies, please do everyone a favor and just stop.

3 comments:

  1. I fell as though this is aimed at me...

    ha!

    I do thing that sweat pants cause the downfall of society as we know it...

    My shirt covered my butt on Monday, Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is most definitely not aimed at you, Anna. BECAUSE I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I love this - when I'm out in public with my boyfriend or my sisters and we spot someone with leggings on as pants we quote, "Leggings are not pants." It's a fun little game!!

    I have to write an essay for my creative writing class about a topic of my choice and I think I'm going to go with the leggings are NOT pants theme!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails